Last Tuesday, I shared on Snapchat a day in life! Like I always say to my students, you are only seeing what people WANT to show you on social media, so I decided to be honest and write down all the things that it didn’t show on my blog today!
- The book I show in the first and last part of the video, I’m reading for grad school. It is huge and I have roughly a million others just like it to read in one month. No idea how I’m going to do it……
- When I work on ivivva stuff with my friend Lex, we totally get off topic one million times. Lex always has great ideas!
- I’m obsessed with my mentor’s dog. He curls up on my lap during out chats and makes me feel like life can be easy.
- Not pictured: how much I drove during the day. I literally was all over creation. Luckily, I listen to good music. It’s pretty much a solo karaoke session.
- I had a bunch of privates in one area with middle school to high school seniors. Was super fun.
- I saw my best friend who lives in California and we had a great time together, but I always feel a little heartache when she leaves me because I wish she lived closer.
- I started to get super tired by the end of the day. I literally ran around like a crazy person.
By middle school, 40-70 percent of girls are dissatisfied with two or more parts of their body, and body satisfaction hits rock bottom between the ages of 12 and 15.1 This also coincides with girls’ self-esteem peaking when they are 9 years old.2
These statistics remind me of how important it is to treat our body like our most treasured possession, but how hard it is when someone makes fun of the way we look. The world would be so boring if we all were identical. You were given your unique attributes to make you you; not so you could beat yourself up. When someone says something unkind, it’s because they’re uncomfortable with themselves. Check out my video for more tips and tricks!
During college I was on the BC Pom Squad where I danced at all the football and basketball games. Recently, my mom asked me how it felt to cheer on the team all those years. I told her I was a performer, not a cheerleader, but it made me think. I was there to show school spirit and support Boston College so she was right. I was a cheerleader. Over the last few weeks, I’ve realized that I’m still a cheerleader. As a mentor I support and champion for girls all day long. This is the game changer: Everyone needs a cheerleader and it’s the key to confidence.
We all need to hear encouragement from an impartial third party. Parental support is incredibly important, but can sometimes be ignored. A cheerleader guides girls to see their own value. Everyone needs help believing in themselves. There is invaluable strength that comes from having another person cheer you on. Also when you have a cheerleader, it helps you become a better cheerleader for others. Take some time today to send your cheerleaders a little extra love!
Today I’m sharing what I learned from Taylor Swift about #squadgoals with my best friend, McKenzie. When there’s a lot going on during the holiday season we can get caught up in what everyone else is doing. McKenzie is one of my biggest supports and today we’re chatting about it!
The other day I found myself jealous as I scanned through a (stranger’s) instagram feed. The girl looked like she was having a super successful day while I was figuring out how to delete hacked code from my website… in my pajamas. Jealousy and envy are normal human emotions that aren’t talked about too often. Even in the mentoring groups I run as a professional big sister, we kind of breeze by it and instead talk about comparing. So what is jealousy really? For the rest of the article click here.
My best friend, McKenzie, is the Global Trainer and Lead Aesthetician at Tata Harper, an amazing natural skin care brand. Today she’s giving us all the scoop on how to get great skin. In this video, we cover how to clear up blemishes, what to do after a workout, and the biggest secret to beauty. This might be my most favorite video ever!
Also because McKenzie is one of the most generous people I know, she’s giving away Tata Harper products on my Instagram. Check out it out later today for all the details on how to win the essentials package. It’s magical. Thanks McKenzie for all your amazing tips! I feel so lucky to be your friend!
Winding down at night can be a challenge. I know because it’s one of the questions I get asked the MOST. Today I’m sharing my little creative secret to help shut down all the thoughts in your head so you can actually get to sleep!
Everyday my students tell me how stressed out they are and I totally get it. We have so much going on that it can be hard to do everything. The amount of questions I get about finding balance are on an all time high, but what interests me is my student’s shift into anxiety and its relationship to worthiness, deserving, and feeling good enough. Stress and anxiety are all things that EVERYONE faces, but what helps? My secret:
Mentorship and meditation.
These two things together helped me realize that I’m enough as I am. I don’t need anything on the outside (likes on Insta, cool friends, a hot boyfriend) to feel like I’m worthy on the inside. Allowing myself to be mentored has opened me up to hearing the, “Me Too,” or knowing that everything I’m going through is normal and human. It’s helped me get to know myself. Girls come to me all the time feeling like they need to be fixed. You’re not broken. There’s nothing wrong with you. Your fears are normal.
The second secret is meditation. You can’t get to know yourself if you’re not able to sit with yourself. Meditation is recharging. It’s a way to find peace in chaos, but you need to work it in order for it to work for you. Girls feel like it’s hard to meditate, but that’s a myth. Want to build a meditation practice? Below is my meditation playlist on Spotify (which all my students ask me about). Some songs are upbeat for energy. Some are softer to calm you down. Pick a song and focus on your breath for the entirety. Everyday is different so sometimes it will be easy to sit; somedays it’ll be hard. Thoughts start to drift? Totally okay! Come back to focusing on your breath. Try to meditate once a day for 21 days. You’ll be surprised how much you crave your meditation time once it becomes part of your routine.
I talk a lot about setting yourself up to win, which means doing things for yourself now that can eliminate stress later. Part of getting rid of unnecessary anxiety is having the things I need… when I actually need them. Today I’m sharing what my survival kit looks like. Being prepared makes me happy!
- 1. Hairbrush
- This mini hairbrush is perfect for a really quick hair touch up in between activities.
- 2. Stain Remover Stick/Pad
- Nothing makes me feel less confident than knowing I have a stain on my clothes.
- 3. Tata Harper Aromatic Stress Treatment
- My bff works for Tata Harper and when I told her how running around makes me stressed she recommended this product. Just a dab on my wrists/neck and it helps me calm down.
- 4. iPhone Charger
- My phone dies super fast and I make sure I always have a charger so I never get stranded somewhere without battery. Also, I was VERY pleased to have charged my phone when my car broke down on the highway last year!
- 5. Stila Eyeliner
- This is my favorite liquid eyeliner. I never wear eyeshadow and just go right for a winged eyeliner. During the day, I need touch ups though so I always have it with me.
- 6. Advil
- I get unexpected migraine headaches so these are a must.
- 7. Band.do Highlighters
- Making my to-do lists colorful makes me SO HAPPY. Ban.do is a super fun company and I love browsing their website.
- 8. Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- I’m not a big fan of gum because of the fake sugar in it, so I keep a travel size toothbrush with me.
- 9. Tampons
- You never want to be caught without a tampon when you need one.
- 10. Black Pen
- I’m always writing things down, taking student notes, or brainstorming my next big idea. I also have a favorite pen and this is it.
- 11. Modern Mentor Hair Ties
- I always have two! One for my hair and another to give away to a friend.
- 12. #MeToo Tattoos
- To use when I need a reminder that everyone all goes through the same things. Also the most fun to use when getting together with friends. #instagram
- 13. Nail Polish Remover
- I hate when my nails are chipped and this takes it off so fast!
- 14. Modern Mentor Card
- You never know when you want to keep in touch with someone. There are so many websites where you can get cute cards printed with your email address and phone number. I totally recommend it. You never know who you’re going to meet!
- 15. Burt’s Bees Facial Wipes
- These are the best. I use them after dance and yoga to keep my skin clean! Also good after you eat something messy… #tacos.
- 16. Headphones
- If you follow me on Spotify, you already know I’m obsessed with music. Headphones are probably the most important item to me. I never know when I’m going to NEED to listen to my favorite song.
- 17. Bobby pins
- To keep my hair and my headphones untangled.