“Can I vent?” My best friend and I text that sentence back and forth all the time especially since I am very gifted in the art of ruminating. Being able to talk to someone helps me stop my internal thought pattern. What felt big in my body can seem small once I've shared it with someone else. A good vent sesh allows someone to hold space for you while you figure yourself out. It's not just about having friends for this, but also mentors or advisors so you can get advice from a different perspective. Who doesn’t feel better after a vent?
Asking for what I want is scary for me. I’m afraid of imposing on someone. I’m afraid of getting rejected, but at the end of the day, if I don’t ask the answer is always no.
Check out the video for more!
Over the last two weeks, I helped a lot of girls through back-to-school shopping breakdowns. What to wear on the first day of school can bring up a lot of questions:
What do I want to look like?
What if I don’t look like everyone else?
What looks good on my body?
Check out today’s video for advice on what to do you’re worried you don’t look like everyone else!
I’m obsessed with music and the other day as I meditated to my favorite song (PS while we’re at it… May I also suggest my Fall Meditation playlist! Get your sit on!) I realized it was giving me the best advice about being open. Being open can be scary. We can be nervous about what people think or failing, but it’s actually such an amazing thing. Check out the video for advice on ways we close ourselves off and how to open ourselves up!
I talk a lot about setting yourself up to win, which means doing things for yourself now that can eliminate stress later. Part of getting rid of unnecessary anxiety is having the things I need… when I actually need them. Today I’m sharing what my survival kit looks like. Being prepared makes me happy!
- 1. Hairbrush
- This mini hairbrush is perfect for a really quick hair touch up in between activities.
- 2. Stain Remover Stick/Pad
- Nothing makes me feel less confident than knowing I have a stain on my clothes.
- 3. Tata Harper Aromatic Stress Treatment
- My bff works for Tata Harper and when I told her how running around makes me stressed she recommended this product. Just a dab on my wrists/neck and it helps me calm down.
- 4. iPhone Charger
- My phone dies super fast and I make sure I always have a charger so I never get stranded somewhere without battery. Also, I was VERY pleased to have charged my phone when my car broke down on the highway last year!
- 5. Stila Eyeliner
- This is my favorite liquid eyeliner. I never wear eyeshadow and just go right for a winged eyeliner. During the day, I need touch ups though so I always have it with me.
- 6. Advil
- I get unexpected migraine headaches so these are a must.
- 7. Band.do Highlighters
- Making my to-do lists colorful makes me SO HAPPY. Ban.do is a super fun company and I love browsing their website.
- 8. Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- I’m not a big fan of gum because of the fake sugar in it, so I keep a travel size toothbrush with me.
- 9. Tampons
- You never want to be caught without a tampon when you need one.
- 10. Black Pen
- I’m always writing things down, taking student notes, or brainstorming my next big idea. I also have a favorite pen and this is it.
- 11. Modern Mentor Hair Ties
- I always have two! One for my hair and another to give away to a friend.
- 12. #MeToo Tattoos
- To use when I need a reminder that everyone all goes through the same things. Also the most fun to use when getting together with friends. #instagram
- 13. Nail Polish Remover
- I hate when my nails are chipped and this takes it off so fast!
- 14. Modern Mentor Card
- You never know when you want to keep in touch with someone. There are so many websites where you can get cute cards printed with your email address and phone number. I totally recommend it. You never know who you’re going to meet!
- 15. Burt’s Bees Facial Wipes
- These are the best. I use them after dance and yoga to keep my skin clean! Also good after you eat something messy… #tacos.
- 16. Headphones
- If you follow me on Spotify, you already know I’m obsessed with music. Headphones are probably the most important item to me. I never know when I’m going to NEED to listen to my favorite song.
- 17. Bobby pins
- To keep my hair and my headphones untangled.
When my student asked me to help her get a boyfriend I knew exactly what I wanted to tell her. As a professional big sister, I get relationship questions all the time. In a world of Snapchat, texts, and dating apps, finding someone that’s a good fit can be confusing. If you’ve ever wondered what you need to do to get a boyfriend this blog is for you!
Sometimes we think being cool means liking what other people like. This is TOTALLY not the case and causes a lot of unnecessary hard work. Being interesting is a lot easier than you think. Check out this video for my tips on being an interesting girl. Also this advice is especially good as you head into the first day of school! XOXO
A couple weeks ago, my student, Caroline, and I did a phone challenge. I read an article about someone who never looked at his phone when he was around other people so I wanted to try it. Let me tell you… it. was. hard. Check out today’s video where we chat about how it went and what we learned!
The whole prom process was stressful for me. Between asking someone to the dance (I went to an all girls high school), finding a dress that I actually felt good in, and praying that I was invited to an after-party, I didn’t really have that much fun because of all the pressure I put on myself. Today’s video is all the best Modern Mentor advice for having authentic fun at prom!
So the title of this one is pretty self-explanatory, but it’s one of the main questions I get. Sometimes our parents can feel like a roadblock to our fun, but what if there was another way to look at it? Check out the video below!